Day 19: Dust off a Lawn Chair
When the days start getting shorter, the temperature starts to plummet and frost clings to branches most of the day, I want to go into hibernation. Luckily in Central Oregon, it can be 20 degrees outside and the sun will still be shining. No chance of developing SAD around here. And for the past few days it's been about 50 in the afternoons with the sun shining and no wind. That's pretty toasty. It means I don't have to bundle up at least, which is what today's date says to do.
Instead of hibernating, which the winter weather often encourages us to do, get outside. Even sitting quietly for just a few minutes gazing at the stars on a clear winter's night, or watching the birds hunting for leftover seeds in your yard is all it takes to regain composure and face whatever awaits back in the warmth of your home.
Of course, when I go sit on the steps outside to watch the wildlife around me, I'm surrounded by four dogs, a cat, the horses or cows are neighing or mooing, the chickens are scratching and clucking to themselves, the hawks are swooping down to catch a mouse, and, if the goat in the pen near the house sees me, she'll start maaing. It may not be quiet, but it is still relaxing.
No comments:
Post a Comment