Danny did come up regularly after our first meeting--like three or four times within the first week. But his goats were also having some problems and he had to hunt some coyotes and he would spend time visiting with my family. I didn't really think much about it. Well, I tried not to think much about it! I just figured he really liked us. Plus, I was starting the preschool during all of this too. There was a lot to think about all around.
September 19, 2009 was our first real, "official" date--you know, the kind where no goats are involved. He arranged it with me ahead of time, and came to pick me up. For those of you not familiar with Central Oregon, Danny lives in Bend. I live in Culver. In perfect conditions it takes exactly 45 minutes to get from his driveway to mine. So he drove all the way to Culver to pick me up for our date. Then we drove all the way back to Bend for dinner.
It was starting to cool down and I didn't want to get cold, so I wore a pair of dress pants rather than a skirt. I still wore sandals though--high-heeled sandals in fact. We pulled up in front of the restaurant in Downtown Bend and were still a little early for our reservation, so we decided to walk around Mirror Pond. Good idea; bad footwear. We walked a couple of blocks to the pond and then walked all around Drake Park before heading back to the restaurant. I had blisters on both feet where most of the straps from my very strappy sandals hit.
We went to Cork. I had never heard of it before, but some of the moms of my students had. One in particular said he scored points for that one. We sat in the back at a small table. This was the kind of restaurant with linen tablecloths and candlelight and the glasses they set on the table that they always have to take away when I just order water. (I say "was" because like many of the restaurants that Danny and I have been to, they are no longer open. I can think of three that have closed just off the top of my head!)
The food was good. I think Danny got a pork chop something and I have no idea what I got. But it was comfortable. He was easy to be with. We talked and I smiled and he drove me home and we probably could have talked more, but he still had to drive back home. By now I didn't worry about when he would call me again. I knew I'd be seeing him again soon, but like I've said before...that's another story.
No comments:
Post a Comment